The Secretary-General’s Call to Action for Human Rights just turned two. Much progress has been made to translate the vision and core principles of the C2A–primarily, the centrality of human rights, to the entire UN system–into tangible action.
Without human rights, there can be no sustained peace, no stability, no protection from harm. No equality, no democracy, no space to speak up. No online safety, no end to the digital divide, no hope of an internet that puts people over profit.
Without human rights, there's be no way to curb climate change, eradicate poverty, tackle racism, misogyny, homophobia or xenophobia. No way to protect the wellbeing and safety of children, young people, the elderly, disabled persons, refugees, or minorities. There can be no green and habitable future planet, no sustainable development, possibly no human future at all.
Human rights is not only the RIGHT thing to do, it's the SMART thing to do. It's central to everything the UN does. It's key to our collective human future. That's why Secretary-General Antonio Guterres launched his Call to Action for Human Rights. Today, we celebrate the C2A's second anniversary.
- Jayathma Wickramanayake, Youth Envoy
- Volker Türk, Under-Secretary-General for Policy
- Achim Steiner, Administrator, UN Development Programme
- Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs
- Moussa Oumarou, Deputy Director-General for Field Operations & Partnerships, ILO
- Miguel de Serpa Soures, Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs
- Jean-Pierre Lacroix, Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations
- Rosemary DiCarlo, Under-Secretary-General for Peacebuilding and Political Affairs
- Gillian Triggs, Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, UNHCR
- Melissa Fleming, Under-Secretary-General for Global Communication
- Alice Nderitu, Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide
- Ilze Brands Kehris, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights
- Robert Piper, Assistant Secretary-General for Development Coordination
- Najat Maalla M'jid, Special Representative on Violence against Children
- Sima Sami Bahous, Executive Director, UN Women
- Michelle Bachelet, High Commissioner for Human Rights
Watch the video
The success of the C2A is dependent on colleagues across the UN taking ownership of its implementation. Read the Call to action
Related Sites and Documents: #StandUpforHumanRights
Related Sites and Documents: