In cooperation with the Office of Public Counsel for the Defence of the International Criminal Court
The United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), in cooperation with the International Criminal Court Office of Public Counsel for the Defence (ICC-OPCD), is organizing the Tenth edition of the International Criminal Law Defence Seminar which focuses on the main issues and strategies related to the field of defence in the international criminal law. The Seminar will be held at the UN Campus in Turin (Italy) from 11 to 14 April 2022.
The four-day seminar will cover all aspects of international criminal defence. In particular, it will cover aspects related to the functioning of the defence teams and Court offices, the lawyer-client relationship, the defence ethics, the strategies of the case and the investigations, the mechanisms behind plea negotiations, the structuring of legal arguments, considerations in trial proceedings, detention issues and the post-trial phase. Topics will be presented in a highly interactive and dynamic way, enabling participants to acquire practical skills that can be of immediate use in daily practice.
The Seminar, led by renowned experts, represents a unique opportunity to acquire a deep understanding of defence within the framework of international criminal law.
Course topics include:
- Basic principles of International Criminal Law
- Punishable conducts and modes of liability
- Introduction to the ICC Rules of Procedure and Evidence
- Introduction and overview of International Criminal Defence
- Defence Counsel qualifications and training - setting up a defence team
- Lawyer-client relationship Defence investigations and strategies
- Sources of case law
- How to structure and present legal arguments
- Direct and cross-examination by the Defence
- Execution phase
The trainers who will be delivering the 2022 Seminar are:
- Ms. Marie O'Leary, Counsel, Office of Public Counsel for the Defence of the International Criminal Court (ICC-OPCD)
- Mr Michael Herz, Legal Officer, Office of Public Counsel for the Defence of the International Criminal Court (ICC-OPCD)
COVID 19-related special notice
UNICRI will take all necessary measures, as mandated by the Italian or local government as well as the UN Campus administration, to ensure safety of participants, faculty and staff during the seminar. This may necessitate appropriate measures to ensure safe social distancing, including the possibility of splitting participants into two classrooms and the use of technology. Unless otherwise mandated by the authorities noted above, the Seminar will be delivered as planned and participants are expected to attend in-person. Any change prompted by any such Covid-related regulation will not involve a reduction or reimbursement of the registration fees.
Due to the nature of the programme and the activities proposed, it will not be possible to allow remote participation of those unable to travel to Turin for the whole or part of the Seminar. In such instances, no reduction or reimbursement of the registration fees are foreseen.
11-14 April 2022
United Nations Campus, Turin (Italy)
29 March 2022
Confirmation of acceptance
30 March 2022
1 April 2022
1. Entry requirements
The Seminar is designed for practicing and trainee lawyers interested in the practice of international criminal law whether in national or international courts and for those professionals working with organizations involved in this area. The Seminar is held in English, therefore a good command of the language is required.
2. How to apply
- Application deadline: please complete and send the application form to email@example.com by 29 March 2022.
- Confirmation of acceptance: the results of the selection process will be communicated via e-mail, within 5 working days following receipt of the application, and no later than by 30 March 2022.
- Payment deadline: full payment has to be finalized within 1 week following confirmation of acceptance, and no later than by 1 April 2022 (i.e. candidates should provide UNICRI with proof of payment via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Download Application Form
3. Applicants requiring VISA (IMPORTANT)
Those applicants requiring a VISA are suggested to submit an early application (preferably by 5 March 2022) and to notify the Seminar Administrative Office on this circumstance. The VISA shall be issued by the competent Italian Diplomatic Authorities in the countries of nationality or residence of participants. Please consider that issuance of a VISA by Italian Embassies and Consulates takes approximately 30 days. UNICRI cannot be held accountable in case of VISA refusal.
4. Quarantine requirements
Foreign applicants are invited to check the entry conditions into the Italian territory applicable to their individual situation and to carefully consider quarantine requirements when planning for their participation to the Seminar, through the website and questionnaire made available by the Italian Government https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html
Absences due to insufficient planning will not be considered justified and will not entitle to the award of the certificate neither to refunds or reduction of the registration fees.
5. Registration Fees
Registration fees amounts to 1,000 Euro.
The registration fees does not cover expenses such as those related to travel, meals, accommodation, and VISA.
6. Cancellation and Refunds
In the event of a participant cancellation for any reason, including VISA denial, registration fees will not be refunded.
7. Certificate of participation
Lectures are held from 9.30 am until 5.30 pm from 11 to 14 April. Upon attendance of all the lectures and completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate of participation issued by UNICRI. Attendance is compulsory for the whole duration of the course. Recognition of professional training credits for Italian lawyers has been requested to the Turin Bar Association.
Absence grounded on serious reasons may be considered at the Organizers discretion.
Email: email@example.com (please indicate “Defence Seminar” in the subject of the email); Tel: (+39) 011 6537157 or (+39) 011 6537111.